Periods 1, 2, 4
1. Grammar quiz (advice, advise)
WRITE THE SENTENCES
Advice is a noun that means guidance.
Advise is a verb that means to recommend or to offer guidance.
1. My (advice, advise) to you is to wake up early and to exercise before you go to school or work.
2. Her boyfriend is always willing to give (advice, advise) even though he knows nothing about the issue.
3. Can you (advice, advise) me which courses I should take for the next term?
4. One thing I must (advice, advise) you is that finals come sooner than we ever realize, so begin to study now!
5. Julie willingly accepts her grandmother's (advice, advise) because Grandma knows Julie so well.
2. New vocab
1. Simile: Comparing two or more things using the words “like” or “as” (noun). I move fast like a cheetah on the Serengeti
2. Metaphor (noun): comparing two or more things without using the word “like” or “as”
3. Alliteration: a string of words repeating the same beginning sounds (noun): For example, Five freaky females finding sales at retail.
4. Hyperbole: an exaggeration (noun): For example, I found a million rappers in an afternoon in June.
5. Personification (noun): Giving an animal or object human-like characteristics. For example, “The wind spoke to me at night.”
6. Paradox (noun): A statement that seems untrue because it seems to contradict itself: noun: For example, The poorest man is the richest man, and the rich are poor.
7. Symbol: Something that stands for something else (noun): For example, in Tupac Shakur’s song “Me and My Girlfriend,” the “girlfriend referenced is actually his gun.
8. Apostrophe: a figure of speech that addresses (talks to) a dead or non-present person or object. For example, O, King Vitamin Cereal, you blow my mind.”
9. Reluctant: unwilling (adjective): I was reluctant to let him leave the room: I was unwilling to let him leave the room.
3. Complete VIS
4. QUIZ set for Wednesday
Periods 6, 7
1. Grammar quiz
2. Fluency
3. Read aloud
4. New vocab
5. VIS
6. SSR
7. Prompt
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment