Monday, October 29, 2007

Tuesday, October 30

Periods 1, 2
1. Finish underlining/summary on AMSCO Pages 158-161
2. Begin 'chunking' Chapter 2 of ACT book

Period 4
1. Finish underlining/summary on AMSCO Pages 158-161
2. Learn new vocabulary from Chapter 2 of "Topics" book

1. magnate: powerful or important person (noun): Donald Trump would be considered a magnate. Donald Trump would be considered a powerful or important person (who else would you consider a magnate?) **
2. scanning: looking at with great care (verb): After scanning the contract, I finally decided to sign it. After looking at the contract with great care, I finally decided to sign it. **
3. Nocturnal: occurring at night (adj): The hoary bat is a nocturnal animal. The hoary bat is an animal that occurs at night (what does that mean? What other animals are nocturnal? How many of you are nocturnal?) **
4. diffuse: spread out (verb): The Marine Corps was called in to diffuse the situation. The Marine Corps was called in to spread out the situation. (what do security guards do when there is a fight in the cafeteria. In the picture who is trying to diffuse the situation?) **
5. resolve: break into parts (verb): Security was called to the classroom to resolve the problem. Security was called to the classroom to break the problem into parts. **
6. meridian: highest point in the sky (noun): It’s best to observe comets when they are at the meridian. It’s best to observe comets when they are at the highest point in the sky.
7. prime: first in quality (adj): I only eat beef that is prime. I only eat beef that is first in quality. (if that is true, where would I buy that beef?) ***
8. entertain: consider (verb): Not for one second did I ever entertain the thought of letting him move in with me. Not for one second did I ever consider the thought of letting him move in with me.
9. contention: claim or belief (noun): Her contention was that the teacher was not being fair. Her claim or belief was that the teacher was not being fair. (why did my sister get a bad grade in Algebra II?)
10. fathom: understand or comprehend (verb): I couldn’t fathom what I was seeing. I couldn’t understand or comprehend what I was seeing (9-11, Hindenberg, what else?) **

3. Complete VIS

Periods 6-7
1. Word wall
2. Read aloud
3. Cold/teacher/hot/partner
4. Complete graphic organizer
5. Review graphic organizer
6. SSR?

No comments: