Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Wednesday, Dec. 5

Periods 1, 2
1. Finish concept maps

Period 4
1. Read story on Steve Irwin that was distributed
2. Review rules of Socratic seminar
3. Round-robbin discussion on story

SOCRATIC SEMINAR RULES
 
1. Listen intently
2. Be courteous
3. There are no right or wrong answers as long as you refer to the text
4. Share your point of view
5. Avoid sarcasm or put-downs
6. Do not look at the teacher, but instead look at the person to whom you are speaking
 
SOCRATIC SEMINAR GOALS
 
1. To speak at least three times
2. To focus on the speaker
3. To ask at least two questions
4. To refer to the text at least twice
5. To take notes on others' comments
6. To say "I want to build on ..." in reference to another's comment
7. To say "I want to connect my thought to ..." in reference to another's comment
8. To use the phrase "I agree with ..." in reference to another participant
9. To use the phrase "I disagree with ...." in reference to another participant
10. To say "I have a question about ..." in reference to another participant's comment
11. To say "I've changed my mind" to compare your current thought with a previous thought
 
What is another title for this article?
Did Steve Irwin deserve to die?
Do you agree with the author when he says that the animal world is finally getting it revenge?
Should we feel sorry that Steve Irwin died?
What is the author's opinion of Steve Irwin? What words does the author use to support that opinion?
What is Steve Irwin's opinion of himself?
Did Irwin respect the habitat of animals?
Is there someone else you can remember who led a life similar to Irwin's?
Do you think of Irwin had the chance to come back to life, he would regret some of the decisions he made in his first life?

Periods 6-7
1. News of the day
2. Word wall
3. Read aloud
4. FCAT prompt
5. Yes/No/Why activity
6. Complete timeline on Polo

No comments: